Frank Ocean Magazines

Frank Ocean Cover Times Magazine & Talks Not Trusting Journalists + Miguel Covers Prince Magazine "Music Meets Fashion" Issue!

February 08, 2013GWL Staff


R&B crooner Frank Ocean is covering the latest issue of NY Times Magazine, where talks writing a book, not trusting journalists, as its not something he practices, his Channel Orange album and the inspiration behind his music, and more.

Here's the highlights:

On not trusting the media:
Here’s what I think about music and journalism: The most important thing is to just press play. “All in all, I just don’t trust journalists — and I don’t think it’s a good practice for me to trust journalists.”
On writing his book:
“I’ve started writing the book,” he said. “You can say that. It’s fiction, and it’s about brothers. That’s all I’m going to say.”
“I hope not to define myself by suffering,” he told NYTimes. 
He repeated a few times that his Tumblr post had “cured” his depression, that he was finally over the relationship and that he was happy now.
“I don’t worry about where [the inspiration] will come from,” he said. “I think even with that cured, there’s still so much to pull from.” He didn’t think of the pain that he went through as a gift, he said. “I know people like to say that. You know, ‘It’s a gift and a curse.’ It’s not a gift. I don’t believe that. I believe it’s just pain. The gift would be the gift whether I went through it or not. We’d just be having a different conversation.”
On securing his image and selling an idea:
"That’s why image is so important, That’s why you’ve got to practice brevity when you do interviews like this. I could try to make myself likable to you so you could write a piece that keeps my image in good standing, because I’m still selling this, or I could just say, ‘My art speaks for itself.’ ”
He then added:
"But just take what I give you. You ain’t got to pry beyond that.” To me, he said, “I don’t know if it’s a shield or whatever, but I want to deflect as much as I can onto my work.”

On fearing death:

“I said: ‘I’m going to die. You’re going to die, Mom.’ And she said, ‘I’m not going anywhere anytime soon.’ That’s what you say, I guess. I guess. But I just remember sitting there, trying to imagine nothing. Nothingness and forgetting and all of those things I feared. And that can’t not affect you and your belief system a little bit.”

On Channel Orange reminding him of his past relationship at age 19:

“Orange reminds me of the summer I first fell in love. Awww. . . . ” Less than a week later, in the post that revealed how important that first love had been for him, he wrote: “I wanted to create worlds that were rosier than mine. I tried to channel overwhelming emotions.” Channel. Orange.


You can read more here.... and check out the pics below:




In other magazine news:


Singer Miguel graces the cover of PRINCE Magazine's "Fashion & Lifestyle: Music Meets Fashion" 2013 issue. Where the "Adore" hit-maker offer advice to guys on making that Valentine's a night to remember and his upcoming 2013 Grammy performance with Frank Ocean

Here's the highlights:

On his upcoming Grammy performance with Ocean:
"Everything kind of starts with my ideas and I allow my team to kind of handle it. I oversee everything to make sure it’s on point with the original concept. That’s also on the fashion side, wardrobe side and production side."
On his favorite fashion designer at New York Fashion Week:
"My favorite designer is Hedi Slimane. Obviously, he is amazing! The way he revamped the Saint Laurent menswear collection, is exactly how I would rock it!"
On what his is favorite song to perform:
At the moment, it’s “Where’s the fun in forever”. I think it’s more of the arrangement on stage that has created some really unforgettable moments on this last tour in Europe. F*ck!ng amazing! The reaction from the entire crowd is not what you would expect from a traditional R&B show. I don’t know if you seen Usher’s last show, but just his energy, how he arranged it and the response was fun!
On him and Frank Ocean being nominated at the Grammy and whose music he enjoy or listen to:
"Frank Ocean! He’s an amazing f*ck!ng writer."
On what are 3 tips for guys that could lead to a happy ending on Valentines Day with their significant other?
"(Laughs) If music has to do with the night, you will be alright. Also, right about now is the perfect time to pay attention to the conversations you are having with your girl. She’ll be dropping little gems of sh*t that she wants right now! So just pay some attention!"
The complete issue will be available on February 9th.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Bossip

Contact Form