Jamie Foxx

Jamie Foxx Speaks On Harry Belafonte: ‘Let’s Have Some Respect for our Elders'

August 29, 2013GWL Staff

"Next generation needs to continue fight for equality," actor Jamie Foxx's words of inspiration during the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington.

"Next generation needs to continue fight for equality," actor Jamie Foxx's words of inspiration during the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington.

During his speech, Foxx spoke about Martin Luther King’s legacy, how his interest in social activism was inspired by the tragic killing of Trayvon Martin, the Sandy Hook school shooting, and a conversation he had with singer, actor, and social activist Harry Belafonte. Along with his need of all entertainers to stand up and take a stand against racial profiling.

Here's the highlights of Foxx's speech:
I’m here to celebrate what Dr. King did 50 years [ago], I’m not even probably going to read from the teleprompter because I’m just going to speak from my heart. I’m going to tell you right now, that everybody my age and all the entertainers, it’s time for us to stand up now and renew this dream. That’s what we got to do. 
I was affected by the Trayvon Martin situation. I was affected by New Town and Sandy Hook. I’m affected by those things, so it’s time for us now to pick up. Harry Belafonte saw me at the Image Awards and he asked me what am I willing to do. He took it a step further and we went to dinner and my daughter who is 19 years old –I said, ‘Listen, if you want to get inspired, come listen to this man speak.’ When I sat with Mr. Belafonte, he asked my daughter, ‘How old are you?’ And my daughter said, ’19.’ I said, ‘Mr. Belafonte what were you doing at 19?’ He said, ‘I was coming home from World War 2 and when I got back to America I wasn’t allowed to vote. I love America, but I realized I had more work to do. So myself, Al, Jesse, and Martin, we marched. I said, ‘Wait a minute man, you sound like you’re naming a boy band group, what do you mean? Who are these guys names?’ He looked at my daughter and said, ‘Martin Luther King, have you heard of him?’ We sat there and we cried.
What we need to do now, is pick it up now so when we’re 87 years old talking to the other young folks we can say, ‘It was me, Will Smith, Jay Z, Kanye, Alicia Keys, Kerry Washington,’ and the list goes on and on. Don’t make me start preaching up here. Last but not least, I have to recognize Mr. Berry Gordy and not only did Harry Belafonte bail Martin Luther King out of jail so that he could march he also paid for all of Coretta Scott-King’s bills as long as she was on this planet.
Young folks lets have some respect for our elders…
Listen to his full speech below:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Bossip

Contact Form