Elle Magazine Janelle Monae

Janelle Monae Covers ELLE Magazine's February 2013 Issue!

January 10, 2013GWL Staff


Singer Janelle Monae covers ELLE Canada Magazine's February 2013 issue, where she talks about her image and wanting people to notice her vocal skills instead of her body, and reflecting back on being a maid before making it big in the music industry. 

Here's the highlights:

On Being a Positive & Inspirational person:
“I have a responsibility to my community. I have a responsibility to tell the universe a story in an unforgettable way. I really want to open doors for all those starting to have their voice…. I want to speak to my cousins who are still in Kansas and feel like they don’t have anyone; I want to speak to the young lady who is trying to understand who she is and how she’s going to follow her dreams living in a disadvantaged environment.” 
“I want to present a different perspective of what it means to be a strong woman, and I just hope to be an inspiration to the next generation of girls, to help them define what makes them unique and what makes them special.”


On Her Previous Job as a Maid and being Shy:
“I got this Facebook message and it really just touched my heart and reminded me where I came from and how I can never complain. I’ll show you.[...]A lot of the women I worked with had rough lives. They were recovering addicts or getting out of jail.”
“I am naturally shy. That’s what people are most surprised by, because when I’m onstage there’s nothing shy. It’s all electricity. I feel fearless.”
And being comfortable in your own skin and wanting people to focus on her vocal and not her body:
“When I look at myself in the mirror, I’m attractive. I really have a nice body. And I had to pick: Do I want them to focus on my body? Do I want them to focus on how curvy and really, really gorgeous my figure is? Or do I want them to look at my music? What has more value? And I made that decision. I want them to focus on the message and the music because I feel like I have a higher calling.”
She then added:
“You have to protect your heart and your spirit so you’re not tainted by money, greed, power, arrogance…. I don’t get off on those things.”
See more pics below:



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. She is gorgeous, nice to see her in something besides those same black pantsuits, but its ok to get ur Doug Funny on...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Bossip

Contact Form