celebrity engagements latest

First Black Bachelorette Rachel Lindsay Has A Message For All Racial Hangup Americans!

March 07, 2017GWL Staff


Being the first black "Bachelorette" star is a big deal according to some Americans!

In February, we're were all introduced to ABC's newest “Bachelorette,” who made history on the show as the first “Black Bachelorette." The new star, 31-year-old Rachel Lindsay, a civil defense litigation attorney from Texas already has a message for Americans who are stuck on racial hangups.
“To be the first African-American woman is a beautiful thing,” Lindsay told The Hollywood Reporter. “I’m honored and humbled to be the one chosen. Because that’s how I feel: like I was chosen to be in this role.”
But when speaking to PEOPLE last month about her new gig, Lindsay said that she was happy to represent "herself as a Black woman in front of America.” As a Black woman going on a dating show to find love, she’s expected to pick a black contender.

When asked about choosing a man of color to please America, Lindsay responded with a message for all Americans with racial hangups. That's a common question that I get from black people. “Honestly, I don’t want to go into this process with any preconceived notions or any pressures to do something for somebody else. I hate to sound selfish, but it’s my process.”

She added:
“It’s my journey in finding love. And whether that person is black, white, red, whatever — it’s my journey. I’m not choosing a man for America, I’m choosing a man for me.” With that being said, she does, however, hope that the men cast to fight for her affections will actually be diverse. 
“I’m hoping that as a black Bachelorette you’re going to get to see a more diverse cast, a cast that’s reflective of what America looks like,” she said. “And not just Bachelor Nation or whatever else, but what America looks like.”
Although the new season hasn't started filming as of yet, Lindsay admits that she's received a lot of support, which outweighs any negative comments.
“I know there are going to be people who criticize what I do no matter what, but I’m just trying to not get caught up in it,” Lindsay said. “I feel like it was meant to be and that outweighs any fear or pressure that I have in being the first African-American Bachelorette.”
FYI: Lindsay was eliminated on last night’s episode of The Bachelor.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Bossip

Contact Form